League of Legends
Creative Direction | Content Design | Live Broadcast Design
As the global pandemic began to unfold, it became very clear that the League of Legends World Championship would have to pivot from previous formats in order to continue as planned.
In the process of learning in-person audiences for the whole of the tournament would pose too much of a health and safety risk, the team found the opportunity to design a never-before-seen experience that would focus entirely on the audience at-home.
POSSIBLE teamed up with Lux Machina and Riot Games to present the League of Legends 2020 Championship season on the world's most advanced XR stage. We successfully broadcast 83 matches live without any crashes, with some match days seeing over 10 hours of gameplay.
- 20 Unreal Engine nodes (all on a modified dev branch of Unreal 4.26)
- Simultaneous camera frustums
- XR background + AR foreground compositing
- 4 Stype tracked cameras
- Real-time interactivity triggered by live game data via OSC
- 50 million frames rendered at 32K 60fps
- 7.5 million messages of game data
- 12,500 camera cuts